Brugge, an hour away from Brussels by train, has always been my favorite Belgian city. It is rich with history (as with the majority of Europe). In the middle ages, it was the richest and largest city in Europe, inhabiting 900,000 people. The Parisians to this day call it the "Venice of the North" as it is filled with canals that weave along and in between the city streets. It holds a magic almost for me every time that I go to it. Regardless of the weather, it is always beautiful, stunning actually.
This past Saturday, Joelle (a nursing student that is a part of the Students For Christ leadership team) and I went to Brugge. I, odd as it may sound, was the tour guide all around Brugge, because this was her first time to go, even though she's lived in Belgium for over 5 years now. It was so much fun! We had a chance to really bond together more and also to see Brugge, which in my opinion is still one of the most beautiful cities around (even though I do live in Brussels which is also nice). I showed her the important things that I remembered, the only house not destroyed by the fire in the 13th century, my favorite chocolate shop, the colorful town square, and my favorite place--the Beuginage (where maidens and widows went in the middle ages through the 18th century to devote their lives to God). It was awesome!!
Monday, January 23, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Hello Diane. I am Pablo the dog. I once went to Brugge. In Brugge I ate chocolate flavoured dog food and ice cream with doggy biscuits. They were terrific. Whilst I was in Brugge I bought myself a lovely dog collar made of lace.
WOOF WOOF.
Pabs...
Very nice! I really like the whole look of your blog, and I can tell you've put a lot of effort into it! I'm glad you're here, and am sure you'll end up making a difference :) Speak to you soon
i didn't know that joelle had never been to brugge.
rachel(forgot to add my name to my comment above)
Post a Comment