The Beguinage is what you see in this photo, taken in Brugge. In the late 16th and 17th centuries, a Beguinage was used for women, single or widowed, who were devoted to the Lord and decided to live in community together. Unlike the nuns, these women could exit the community and marry or live lives outside of the community. I like that expression of people who live in community with one another for the purpose of spiritual growth.
Every time I come here to this spot, I feel at home in many ways. It is a place of peace and simplistic beauty. It is the first thing and the last thing that I visit when I go into Brugge. I heard God whisper to me here and sing over me. The Beguinage is one of my favorite things.
3 comments:
What a beautiful place! That would be a great spot for prayer. Thanks for sharing the photo - and the site! My first time on here and it's great to see all that God is doing. Take care, Jen Kress
It looks gorgeous! I think it's a great idea, you sharing more about Belgium with us!
Wow, that sounds really incredible. Do places like this still exist for women?! I think I need to find myself one ;o)
Post a Comment