Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2007

A Day of Thanksgiving

It's funny how even though Thanksgiving is not a very commercial holiday (note: there is no mention here of "Black Friday" with people buying anything and everything at unheard of hours in the morning) it seems sometimes "unfinished" without the things one is used to. Today my Thanksgiving was rather uneventful, but I had to remind myself that it was still the day to be thankful. I went to the University ate with a friend, went on our campus prayer walk, hung out on campus, went to go look at an apartment, ate a 'regular'--but good dinner, talked with family, and then ate ice cream while watching "A Christmas Carol." Although I did not eat turkey and stuff myself with stuffing or pie--God really showed me that this day, Thanksgiving is just what it says it is, a day to be thankful, regardless of what I eat or how I spend the day.

It got me to thinking how I often overlook things for which I can be thankful, good friends who have seen the worst of me--and they love me still, I am thankful that I have food to eat and a warm bed to sleep in with a roof over my head, I am thankful that I have a God who loved me sooooo much that He died for me. I am thankful that I have a family who cares about me and who misses me. I am thankful that I am here in Belgium, having one of the best jobs ever--walking with students to deepen our relationship with Christ! There's so much to be thankful for.

I must admit, at the beginning of the week, I was sad that the "normal" ways one might "classify" Thanksgiving were not there, a big Thanksgiving dinner with all the stuffing and family to share it with. But then, as this day came closer--I realized something. Turkey does not make Thanksgiving and that God has given me a family here in Belgium. Today was a good Thanksgiving day where I had the opportunity to reflect on what a day of Thankfulness really means, just that actually remembering what I have and thanking God for it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That was a nice article about being thankful! We all have so much to be thankful for and especially for how God works in our lives showing us the way.
Love you.... You are so special!!