I am currently leading an English Club here in Brussels, where 10 - 20 students from the Free University of Brussels (ULB) come over to my house to speak in English with me. It is a lot of fun! Every week we all talk about a different subject and my job is to ask questions, facilitate the discussion, and to bring different vocabulary, key phrases, and any grammar tips. Well, last Wednesday I was all prepared to do a "New Year's" theme, yet in my heart, I started thinking "what if I were to do a Christmas theme...?" And so...I did and here's what happened.After going through the normal Christmas questions: What comes to mind when you think of Christmas? What was the best present you have ever received? I asked them: "What is the original meaning of Christmas?" Régis pointed to the manger scene that we had put up and said "This is the meaning of Christmas." And the conversation began. People were excited to be able to share what they knew from there being angels to tell of the good news to Christmas was started on a pagan holiday. But as we discussed the majority of the Christmas story details, I exclaimed "Well I hope you all remember what what said...because there's going to be a test!!" (They didn't look as excited as I did.) I then told them that we were going to act out the Christmas play and that everyone had to play a part.
Ibrahaim, from an Arabic background, decided he wanted to play the angel. While he spoke, his words of truth struck me. He said to Mary "You are pregnant, God, Emmanuel, is inside of you, and you are to name him Jesus." That night, Ibrahaim understood the meaning of Christmas that God came to earth. As the play continued it was time for the angels to break out in "heavenly chorus" what this meant in English Club terms is that I sang a solo that others joined in with. "Gloria," we sang, "Gloria in excelsis deo." Glory to God on High we sang, and Belgium was filled with singing.
No comments:
Post a Comment