Life comes with it's surprises, which is a good thing, otherwise it might get pretty boring always knowing what will happen next. But then again, there are some surprises that we would not have wished for. I can actually give a few examples for what I mean here. Two weeks ago Friday, I was getting into the backseat of a taxi on the right-hand side. Before I knew what was happening, boom-de-boom-boom! Our taxi (which was stationary before--the motor hadn't even been turned on) was currently in a ditch about 100-200 feet from where I had tried to get in. I was sitting in the taxi--but my hat didn't make the ride, it was back at the scene of the accident where I hit my head on initial impact and then the jolt of the car came and hit me in the back, all within a second (or so it seemed). It was pretty traumatic, I didn't know what to make of it all--and my taxi driver and everyone who asked me how I was...they didn't know what to make of me: the American girl who shed an occasional tear still sitting in the back seat of a now totaled car. But I can honestly say that God protected me BIG TIME. I walked away (which had I tried to get in on the left-hand-side of the car I probably couldn't have done) with only some soreness and a small bruise--nothing broken or fractured. And I am glad to be able to say now that I haven't really felt any discomfort or soreness for a week now! Thank you Jesus! Yet even though the accident was not planned nor wanted, I saw God's hand in and through it. He had even prepared me the night before and that morning by bring worship songs to mind. He is good!
A few surprises came with my apartment--it is everything that I could have wanted (and had prayed for) and more! Big enough to have people over, near by others that I know, and in a safe location! It was perfect! Yet...I also had a surprise there too, I realize that upon moving in, although I am living alone...I am not quite as alone as I had hoped. There are a few big (BIG) bugs that come out from time to time, they crawl, they scurry, and I think one of them just scurried into my bedroom (which means I doubt I'll have a very peaceful night sleep). They are apparently a common bug here in Eden, although I admit--they are not too polite--they just invite themselves in, often through the drains. Their name: (I wince even while writing this) cockroaches. I think I announced myself to my neighbors this afternoon as I saw one and tried to kill it with soapy water (really works!) but it moved--hence my little announcement of my presence to the neighbors (word to the wise: they are not killed by women shrieking). So tomorrow--I bleach EVERYTHING. And hopefully they will realize that not only are they no longer welcome here...but that if they return, I will kill them. (That announcement--I would love for them to pass along to whomever they might know!)
So yes, surprises are not always desirable...but they make life interesting--I now have two more life stories that I didn't have before. But it is all worth it, because I have my VISA which is my legal permission to live in Eden. "Worth it?" one might ask, "you think it's worth it to live in a land that may have cockroach parties while you are sleeping, you think that is all worth it so that you can live there...?" Yes, yes I do. You see, Eden is not made up of car accidents or cockroaches; it is made up of people, many who have become my friends and it is worth it to live with cockroaches (not that I won't try to get rid of them--I will!!) so that I can spend more time with my friends here as we walk together on this life-journey that God has for each of us, this journey to His heart.
Friday, March 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
An update on the cockroaches: They don't like bleach (yay for me!!) of the now 16 cockroaches that I have seen, only one has escaped alive! (This doesn't mean that I've killed them all, most of the time, I just find them dead or dying around the house, others I have killed though.) BUT...those are the cockroaches that I have seen, I have "heard" many more--can you pray that they'll die soon? Thanks :)
Hi there, one thing we do for spiders coming up the bathtub drains is to stop it up and leave a tiny pool of water just over the drain when not in use. Works like a charm!
Post a Comment