Pages

Sunday, March 12, 2006

Religion Chats Due to Literature

"Do you want to get some coffee?" That was the question asked by two girls from the class, I am now taking at the University here in Bruxelles. We are all in a class titled "The Introduction to French literature," but the interesting thing is that the majority of texts we are reading have to do with moral or religious themes. And because of the Laura and Saouli wanted to discuss our religious points of view after class. It was a great time for me to get to know them. Laura is an agnostic who believes that there are more than one way to get to heaven, Saouli is a non-practicing Arab. They both knew that I was a Protestant before we went to coffee, but they were shocked to hear that I was a PRACTICING Protestant (they quantify "practicing" as someone who prays, reads the Bible, and goes to church). "We just don't see that here in Europe," they said "it is very rare."

I am very excited about this French Class that I am in, because it gives me the opportunity not only to improve my French, my accent is terrible, but also it gives me the opportunity to meet people outside of Students For Christ. I am glad that Laura and Saouli are my friends from class, I am excited also about future after class coffee trips that we may have together.

In the mean time, I have to read three books (in French!!) by Wednesday, well actually just two and a half. Right now I am reading a book by Victor Hugo, and I really like his writing style. I find it somewhat funny also that his characters quote sections from his other books as well, maybe his marketing style was ahead of his time. :)

No comments: