Pages

Saturday, May 20, 2006

Glory through Da Vinci Code


Who would know that one day could end up so eventful? And to be 100% truthful, it was filled with events and interesting conversations...

It all begins around noon, when two other friends (Ornella and Noemie) and I decided to give out our "Da Vinci Code" flyers on the campus instead of on teh outsquirts like normal. Let me take you to the scene... here we were in the caffeteria passing out flyers, and when I finished with my big stack, I went to join up with the others. They were talking with two guys and two girls, when I approached they introduced me as "Here's the one who can answer your questions." (Quite an introduction!) For the next twenty minutes or so we were all talking about Jesus and how His coming to earth can affect not just our everyday life, but also our eternal life. But before going much further, we were interupted by a Campus security guard.


"Who is passing out these flyers?" he said. I replied that it was me. "Come with me, come with me now. You and your friends are not allowed to be on campus." So Ornella, Noemie, and I followed him. "ULB is a neutral campus, therefore," he said, "it is forbidden to pass out religous material and propaganda. It is furthermore forbidden to preach on campus." With that I wondered to myself how passing out a flyer ( the one on the left) that litterally said "Unconver the Code: Why does Mona Lisa smile? We will have a discussion about that and many other questions pertaining to the book "The Da Vinci Code" by Dan Brown." And then it gave directions next to a small "Students For Christ" logo. I wondered how that could be considdered preaching, but just smilied and said "OK." The security guard continued to lead us off campus, explaining that we were not to cross over to the campus to pass out materials again. Through it all, I just smiled and was agreeable, thinking how I've never been kicked off campus before.


A little latter that evening six students and I went in front of the theater to do "Da Vinci Code" Surveys in hopes to form relationships and invite them to our discussion. On the survey, there were your normal questions, "Have you seen the film? What did you think?" Then it asked another question "Do you think that Jesus really existed?" And to my surprize, I heard "non," "non," and "non." Of the people surveyed, 8.5% didn't even believe that Jesus existed, that broke my heart.


Coming back home on the tram, I had a big revelation... this Tuesday, for those who come, this might be their only opportunity to hear the true message of the Gospel. We passed out over 800 flyers, five people might come (I am praying for 40), and of those people who come this might be their first and only contact with the true message of the Gospel. WOW! Can you believe that? Please pray for me as I speak this Tuesday night about the Da Vinci Code and about our need for a Savior, please also pray that their will be responses to this message. Out of movie and book, we all have the opportunity to either search for the true treasure of the Holy Grail (Jesus Christ's redemption) or to invite people on the quest along side of us. Through this movie... God is getting all the glory!

1 comment:

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

You are such a delinquent. At least it was for something you believed in.