Pages

Friday, June 02, 2006

Run the Race


Recently in Brussels, we had a 20K (about 12 miles) run with 25,000 participants. I did not participate, but I know of many who did. As people were running I had one of the best spots--I was situated in the middle of the road that they were running down. I fully got teh taste of teh race. I smelled their sweat, I saw their anguish and exhaustion, someone even decided to dump their bottle of water on me.

One thing that this race reminded me of was the verse in the Bible which states: "Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." (Hebrews 12: 1-3) The Christian lifestyle is described as a race, it is not a 50 yard dash, nor is it a competition to see who can gain the most favor from the Lord by doing good things, instead it is a life-long marathon. In this marathon, we start off with the favor of the Lord, we never lose it nor gain more because we start off with abundant love. Along the way, Christ strengthens and encourages us, He gives us rest when we need it and endurance to finish the race.

Last night, I tried my hand (my feet?) at running a little around two lakes that are near my house. I did a figure eight around them in a run-walk-jog-walk-rest-run pace. I do not claim to be a runner, I enjoy walking, but I do want to be dependant on God for my strength to finish the life-long marathon well. And so... I am debating about putting those verses into personal application, and next year I might possibly run (walk, jog, and walk some more) the 20K race here in Brussels.

1 comment:

Michelle Fluttering Butterflies said...

Wait, someone dumped their water on you?