Pages

Saturday, November 04, 2006

English Club!!

Over 60 people contacted me about the "free English Club" I had advertised on the two Free University of Brussels campuses as well as the Flemish University. And tonight, at our first meeting about 17 people showed up! It was a lot of fun! I "forced" them to play fun get-to-know-you games and we talked about the goals people had for English Club.

There is a big spectrum of levels in the club, but somehow, we all seem to mesh together. Every week, we'll talk about a certain theme, whether it is movies, food, or culture. I'm also trying to incorporate subject-specific vocabulary and sayings as well as English grammar rules. (The English grammar rules turns out to be quite difficult, seeing as how I learned how to speack English by talking, not by learning the rules. So if anyone knows some English grammar rules, feel free to pass them my way!

At the end, we played good-old fashioned telephone. The secret phrase, hushhhhhhh.... was "To bridge the gap." I explained how the goal of English Club is to bridge the gap between hestitation in English and speaking in English on a conversational level. It was a lot of fun! We all enjoyed ourselves, they even pretended to enjoy the games they were forced to play. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That is a very cute black and white cat in your arms! It's a good thing that someone else didn't give him to you and place him in your lap! Love and kisses....